Name Mary-Kate Olsen
Date of Birth June 13, 1986
Birth Place Sherman Oaks, Calif.
Height 5′ 1″ (1.55 m)
Mary-Kate Olsen is a Daytime Emmy Award-nominated American actress, producer, fashion model and fashion designer. She has had a successful acting career beginning at a very young age, in roles with her twin sister Ashley Olsen.
Since 2006, she has appeared in movie roles independently of her twin sister.
She and her twin sister, Ashley Olsen, were born June 13, 1986 in Sherman Oaks, California to David and Jarnette Olsen. The twins began their acting career in 1987 when they were chosen to play the role of Michelle Tanner on a new television series, “Full House” (1987).
The show became a hit with books, dolls, and other merchandise being sold to promote it, and during the years the show was on the air, the Olsen twins had a TVQ (popularity rating) second only to Bill Cosby. The twins continued to share the role through the show’s end in 1995.
During the years of “Full House” (1987) they teamed up with Robert Thorne and created Dualstar, their production Company.
Soon they had recorded an album titled Brother For Sale and a music video called Our First Video (1993) (V). In the years that followed they starred in three straight to video movies, To Grandmother’s House We Go (1992) (TV), Double, Double, Toil and Trouble (1993) (TV), and How the West Was Fun (1994) (TV).
They also created their own video series called The Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley, in which they were pint size detectives who would “solve any crime by dinner time.”
They also have another successful video series, You’re Invited to Mary-Kate and Ashley’s and both video series continue to be popular today. In 1995 they made their big screen debut in It Takes Two (1995) and in the next few years they continued to make videos in their series.
In 1998 they returned to television in the short-lived series, “Two of a Kind” (1998). They made a few more tv movies, appeared on many talk shows, and began to work on a new tv series titled “So Little Time” (2001).
They currently live in California with their mom, older brother Trent and younger sister Lizzie. They visit their dad, stepmom, Mackenzie and step siblings, Taylor and Jake.
Mary-Kate Olsen: Five Fun Facts
1. In 2007, PETA dubbed Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen “The Trollsen Twins” because they ignored the activist group’s pleas to stop wearing fur. PETA also unveiled a campaign against them at their Walk of Fame star in L.A.
2. One of Mary-Kate Olsen’s favorite movies is the S&M romance Secretary, starring Maggie Gyllenhaal. She told W that she’s seen it “at least, like, a hundred times.”
3. When Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen wore bandannas in one of their direct-to-video movies, it sparked a run on bandannas in the United States. This gave them the idea to start a line of clothes.
4. Mary-Kate Olsen, who downs two to four Starbucks drinks a day, has been drinking coffee for much of her life. “I remember at 10 sneaking my own coffee and pouring a ton of sugar in and going up to the playroom and drinking it,” Olsen told W magazine in January 2006.
5. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are not identical twins. Mary-Kate is an inch taller than Ashley. Ashley has a freckle above her lip and Mary-Kate does not. Mary-Kate’s a lefty; Ashley is right-handed. They can’t “talk to each other through [their] brains,” Ashley tells Entertainment Weekly.